If you are an Ontario business or non-profit with more than 20 employees, or a public sector organization, you must complete an Accessibility Compliance Report by December 31st of this year. If it is not submitted by December 31st, 2017, it will be considered overdue.
The purpose of the report is to confirm your organization’s compliance with the accessibility requirements outlined under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Failure to comply by the deadline could result in enforcement penalties that include financial repercussions.
How do I Fill Out My Organizations’ Accessibility Compliance Report?
You can download a Compliance Report Form by visiting Ontario.ca or by clicking here. There are instructions for downloading the form on the website, and the form comes with detailed instructions on what to do. Prior to downloading the form, you must have the following information about your organization:
- Legal name
- Business number (BN9 Number)
- Total number of employees
- Name of a senior officer with authority to confirm that the details in the report are correct (the certifier)
How do I Fill Out the Report?
The ontario.ca website has many detailed instructions with regard to filling out the form. The following tips will help you as you move through the form and fill out your organization’s details:
- Remember to specify what type of business you are (public sector, business/non-profit)
- If your company is a non-profit, you will select the business/non-profit option
- Ensure that you complete all Yes/No questions
- You have the ability to add comments where applicable
- All questions have links to the appropriate legislative reference; when in doubt, check the legislation
- You may file for up to 20 organizations at the same time, provided they all meet certain criteria. For more information, click here
- Don’t forget to include primary contact information
- Be sure to review the form before submitting. Ensure that it is both complete and accurate
If your company undergoes a change that would affect the information submitted, there is a process and a form that can be submitted to report the changes. More information and a link to the form can be found here. Additionally, accommodations for completing the form, and requests for the form to be provided in an alternative format, can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I Need More Information and/or Assistance?
Information and assistance are available in many places. Ontario.ca is great place to start, or click here to be taken right to the Accessibility Compliance Report information page. You may also call one of the following phone numbers for information and/or assistance:
- Canada Toll Free: 1-866-515-2025
- International: 416-849-8276
- TTY: 1-800-268-7095/ 416-325-3408
How Can OSG Help!
If you have questions about completing your AODA Accessibility Compliance Report, need professional advice, or have questions about whether or not you are currently compliant, we can help. You can call us at 800.815.9980 or send us a contact form today.
Written by Jennifer Miller | Curriculum Development Coordinator
Do you want to receive the latest and safest news directly to your inbox?
It’s easy! Press the button below to subscribe!