To prevent accidents and keep employees and bystanders safe, make sure your operators know how to safely use an overhead crane. This course is suitable for operators of the following types of overhead cranes:
- Gantry cranes
Our experienced facilitators will guide participants through the course content and foster an environment in which learners can co-create knowledge in real-time.
This course provides operators with knowledge about different hazards that confront those working with overhead cranes. Participants will be equipped with tools and best practices to be able to operate equipment safely. By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Outline the role of a competent operator
- Inspect an overhead crane
- Prepare for a lift by selecting the appropriate sling and rigging materials
- Perform a lift with an overhead crane safely
Course content is based on CSA B167.
Practical Skills Evaluation
To receive a certificate of competency, the participant must achieve a passing grade on the written in-class test and pass the practical skills evaluation. The practical skills evaluation is to be performed at the operator’s place of employment. Additional charges may apply if multiple devices are evaluated.
Practical skills evaluations should be completed within 90 days of successfully passing the course.
For OSG to complete the practical equipment evaluation, the participant must ensure that:
- They have had the minimum recommended experience on each piece of equipment they will be operating
- Annual certification and inspection has been completed on the equipment that will be used for the evaluation
- Equipment is in good working order
Who this course is for
Overhead crane operators. A Train-the-Trainer option is also available if you would like to learn how to train your workers to safely operate an Overhead Crane.
Join over 65,000 Ontarians trained by OSG each year
Ready to book? Call us at 800.815.9980 or fill out the form below and our health & safety experts will get in touch.