Choose a delivery method
Training and operator competency is key to safe crane use in the workplace. This program will provide participants with the knowledge required to use an overhead crane safely and efficiently. This course covers a variety of industrial type cranes including bridge, jib, and gantry cranes.
In order to receive a certificate of competency, the participant must achieve a passing grade on the written in-class test, and pass the practical skills evaluation. The practical skills evaluation is to be performed at the worker’s place of employment.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss applicable legislation
- Identify hazards specific to crane use
- Perform pre-operational checks
- Identify how to rig a load
- Explain capacity and sling angles
- Follow safe operating procedures
- Operate a crane safely
Our overhead crane program is designed in accordance with CSA B167-08 Overhead travelling cranes – Design, inspection, testing, maintenance, and safe operation.
Upon completion of the theory portion of the program, a hands-on practical evaluation is required to complete the certification. OSG recommends that practical evaluations be completed within 90 days of completing the theory portion of the program.
Overhead crane operators, supervisors, JHSC members, and health and safety representatives
Ont. Reg. 851 – Industrial Establishments s. 51(2)
Ont. Reg. 213/91 – Construction Projects 96. (1)
You may also be interested in:
- Safe Operation of Aerial Work Platforms*
- Safe Operation of a Bucket Truck
- Safe Operation of an Electric Pallet Truck
- Safe Operation of Hoists
- Safe Operation of a Lift Truck*
- Safe Operation of a Telehandler Lift Truck*
- 7 Tips to Help You Prepare for a Ministry of Labour Inspection Blitz – Equipment Edition
- Top Four Ministry Of Labour Deadlines You Need To Know About
*Train-the-Trainer option available