It’s Official! The **NEW** WHMIS Regulations are now in effect!
On July 1, 2016 the Ontario government amended the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS Regulation 860 to officially include the new chemical labelling standards that are part of the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and labelling of Chemicals (GHS).
What does this mean for you?
The addition of this regulation to the Act means that you need to make changes to your chemical labelling and receiving system. Notably, there are now official deadlines to change from the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) system of labelling, to the SDS (Safety Data Sheets), used in the Globally Harmonized System.
- MAY 31, 2018: Until this date, you may use and receive products with old or new WHMIS labels
- June 1 – Nov 30, 2018: Begin transitioning materials with old WHMIS labels over to the new system
- DECEMBER 1, 2018: The transition to the new WHMIS system of labelling must be complete
What are my training obligations?
Until the transition is 100% complete, employers must ensure that workers are trained on the old WHMIS system and reading MSDSs, as well as the new GHS system, including reading and understanding the new SDSs.
The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) is an internationally agreed upon system for standardizing the classification of chemicals through labelling and Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Canada has adopted the GHS criteria and will be implementing it through the WHMIS system.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define GHS
- Identify the key differences brought forward by GHS
- Recognize pictograms for GHS hazard categories
- Identify the hazards associated with each category
- Find specific information about hazards and precautions using the SDS
Workers exposed or likely to be exposed to biological, physical, or chemical agents, supervisors, JHSC members, and health and safety representatives.
Occupational Health and Safety Act s. 42 (3)
Ont. Reg. 851 – Regulation for Industrial Establishments s. 130
Ont. Reg. 860 – Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) s. 6(1)