Become a Certified Overhead Crane Trainer!
Learn how to train your workers to safely operate an Overhead Crane.
When you become the trainer, you can train workers whenever needed. Organizations that train a high volume of workers, experience high turnover, or want to increase internal expertise will benefit from having a certified trainer in-house.
Our program, taught by industry experts, is designed to provide workplace trainers with the required knowledge and tools to successfully deliver our Overhead Crane Training program in their own workplace. You will learn how to train others and gain access to resources to facilitate your training.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Explain the role of a competent operator
- Discuss how to identify overhead crane hazards
- Demonstrate how to inspect an overhead crane
- Explain how to select a sling and properly rig a load
- Discuss how to perform a lift with an overhead crane safely
This program is designed in accordance with CSA B167.
Practical Skills Evaluation
The fee for the Train-the-Trainer course includes one practical evaluation from OSG to be completed at the participant’s workplace. Additional charges may apply if multiple devices are evaluated.
Equipment evaluations should be completed 90 days after the course has been successfully passed.
For OSG to complete the practical equipment evaluation, the participant must ensure that:
- They have had the minimum recommended experience on each piece of equipment they will be operating
- Annual certification and inspection has been completed on the equipment that will be used for the evaluation
- Equipment is in good working order
In addition to expert-led training, you will receive the following materials:
For you to use when you begin training others:
- Leader’s Guide
- Online portal access for all course materials, including:
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Sample certificates
For your future participants:
- 10 Participant’s Manuals
Designed for experienced overhead crane operators and supervisors who want to train their workers on the safe operation of overhead cranes.
To be eligible to take this course, you will need to:
- Complete Tools and Techniques for Adult Learning
- Understand Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- Be a competent operator of an Overhead Crane demonstrated by having at least 100 hours of experience operating the equipment and/or have received a certificate of competency by a training provider
- Understand hoisting and rigging principles
Reg. 851 – Industrial Establishments s.512)
Ont. Reg. 213/91 – Construction Projects s.96.(1)
Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations